Monday, November 2, 2015

Semana 36

Hope everyone had an awesome Halloween and week! Mine was just spent at a little carne cook out at one of our members homes (the Banda family) that was super good, and then more food and candy that Elder Chacin and I enjoyed in the apartment after six. Different, but Halloween was still fun.

As always, thank you so much Fam for the package with more clothes and some treats. You guys are the best. I really appreciate it. Also thanks to the Hermansens for the letter! I was super glad to hear that you are all doing well and see some pictures of what you have been up to. Thanks also to Grandma Jeri for the letter too. I am so blessed to have such wonderful people in my life. Birthday shout out to Grandma Jeri, Wes Brown, Jeff Hermansen, and Elder Cuff! I hope you all had/have wonderful birthdays! I wish I was there to celebrate with you all, but we will do something fun when I get back.

So this past week was super awesome as always down by the Rio. The highlights were throwing plates filled with shaving cream at each other for a district meeting training (sorry no pictures), Carnes (bbq) at our favorite members homes, a super cool Christmas themed Zone meeting, a miracle, and Halloween! My favorite holiday.

To talk more about the Christmas themed zone meeting. One of our zone leaders (Elder Breck, such a great guy and super funny) is heading home on Wednesday and wanted to spend one last Christmas in the mission. So we decided to throw a little party for zone meeting before he heads home so we drank hot chocolate, practiced teaching lessons that included comparing Santa to faith and Rudolph the red nosed reindeer to Christ's life, and a white elephant. It was a lot of fun. Strange for me being so into Halloween and wishing we had had a party for that, but super fun still the same.

So the miracle story is actually really long so I will have to condense it. If you want the full story you will have to ask me about it after the mission. So basically Elder Chacin and I had stopped to get some gas at the 7/11 in Rio Bravo and were talking to a less active that was there selling candy apples. After that when we went to go into the store to pick up our gas receipt a guy stopped us and started questioning us about the church. He seemed innocent enough so we started to try teaching him. Well we came to find out that this guy was probably a preacher for the Pentecostal church and knew a lot about our church and has a very negative view on us. So he starts getting heated and trying to bash our doctrine and was just overall very rude here in the middle of the parking lot for about ten minutes. We kept our cool and didn't stoop to his level, but whenever he let us get a word in we testified of truth and defended ourselves. He just wouldn't have any of it and when we realized just how hard hearted he was and wasn't willing to listen I just felt prompted to tell him boldly in Spanish. Okay, I will see you at judgement day in front of the Savior and we will see who is right. Said a respectful goodbye and headed out of there. After that Elder Chacin and I felt very bummed out. Not because of what was said, but because we just felt sad that he was so hard hearted against the truth and seemed so unhappy. We stopped and said a prayer for him and his future posterity that they would be able to find the truth and I really hope he does, After that I just looked over at Elder Chacin and said " Alright obviously the devil is trying to stop us today with all the things he has been throwing at us. So we are going to go out find a very prepared, humble person to teach right now." So we changed our view to the positive side and went right to a referral. We were met with a super friendly guy that invited us in immediately, no questions asked. Like he was just waiting for us. We had probably the most spiritual lesson of the three transfers I've been with Elder Chacin and he (Juan) easily accepted a baptismal invitation. Such a crazy cool testimony building day. The story of how we were referred to Juan is a crazy story too, but for sake of time I will have to stop here.

I know that this church is true and that truly this is Christ's work. Everything just points to that every single day out here. I am so grateful to be a part of it.

Hope everyone has a great week! We have transfers tomorrow so I will let everyone know how that goes. I think Elder Chacin and I's time together is done unfortunately, but I am excited to see where the next chapter of the mission takes me.

Love y'all and stay classy,

Elder Sheehy


Our Halloween feast of junk food, haha. Thanks to everyone for the awesome packages!

Halloween yard in Rio Bravo

Laredo and Nuevo Laredo, Mexico in the background

Bye bye Elder Breck

Merry Christmas? From Laredo


P.S. Steve is heading to Corpus Christi tomorrow for work, which is in Austin's mission, and could very possibly be where Austin could get transferred. ;)













No comments:

Post a Comment